Re: tlug: graphics package of pLaTeX

    $B2#@example.com(B> In Article
    $B2#@example.com(B> <Pine.LNX.3.96LJ1.1b7.980917143705.20999A-100000@example.com>
    $B2#@example.com(B> Rob Bickel <rob@example.com> writes:

    >> Where did you put the Debian files?  At the minimum latex
    >> should look in the same directory as your .tex file for the
    >> graphics.sty.  If you copy the graphics.sty file

    $B2#@example.com(B> First, I copied the file in
    $B2#@example.com(B> /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/* on Debian to
    $B2#@example.com(B> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/* on TLJ2.0. But this

This will probably lose.  Try "/usr/jp/share/...".

Try editing texmf.cnf to tell kpathsea where to find the graphics
support; it should live in /etc/texmf/ or something like that.  But
maybe the one pLaTeX listens to lives in
/usr/jp/share/texmf/arbitrary/losing/directory/texmf.cnf, so watch
out.  (find / -name texmf.cnf)

Scott:  will you please please please PLEASE please please fucking
please get rid of /usr/jp...?  I realize you're under organizational
constraints, but see if you can convince these guys that this dual
hierarchy is the wrong way to do this.

All this does is makes it possible for the various TeXs (and other
programs with national variants) to be incompatible with each other in
ways that a distribution serious about I18N (and especially M17N)
should not permit.

If it is really absolutely necessary for there to be a perl and a
jperl, and they absolutely must both be _named_ perl, look into the
Debian /etc/alternatives/links-go-here setup.  But you should really
be hoping for (and providing support for) the

perl == LANG=C /usr/bin/perl

jperl == LANG=ja_JP.eucJP /usr/bin/perl

solution (which alternative may not exist yet because of lossage in
the Nihongo locale support, but is the IMHO right way to go).

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091