Re: tlug: IGS/Go How-To

Darren Cook writes:
 > >> I forgot to ask. Is there a stand alone program that allows you to
 > >> play against the computer?
 > >
 > >for Linux?  Try 'xgoban-wally', from sunsite.  Run the a.out binaries as
 >
 > Wally is about the only freeware go program, and as the name suggests plays
 > only slightly better than a random player - maybe 30kyu.
 >
 > There are many DOS/Windows programs, and one or two Mac programs. The
 > following URL is for a free 9x9 go program (Windows - I don't know if it
 > will work under Linux's emulator or not), which will play a fairly strong
 > game, and give you a rough idea of your level.
 >
 >   http://pw1.netcom.com/~fotland/igowin.html
 >
 > BTW, don't look down on 9x9 go - it's a good way to improve your tactical
 > fighting and you get to fit more games into an hour. If you play 19x19 and
 > your tactics are weak it can be very depressing as the opponent
 > systematically captures all your stones.

Thanks for the tip. Since games is the only thing you can use windoze
for I guess it is ok. How do I boot that OS again ?????? ;-)

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com