tlug: IGS/Go How-To

Any tluggers interested in playing Go on IGS, here's a quick how-to:

1.  Get cgoban (ftp.nuri.net, in Go/clients/unix, I think).  I've got a
prebuilt RPM for Redhat/TL as well, in my home dir on the TLUG server.

2.  Install cgoban :)

3.  Run cgoban and click 'IGS'.  Put in 'guest' for your name and leave
the password blank.

Ok, now you're logged in as a guest.  In the main window, type:

register name email

ie, if you wanted to be known on the server as 'FooBar', type:

register FooBar foobar@example.com

You need to put in a valid email address, as it will mail your password to
that address :)

Then you can login with your new username/password (cgoban will remember
it for future reference), and change your password/play/whatever.  the
'help' command on the server will explain some basic stuff.

Anyway, IGS/NNGS are both pretty neat.  You can observe other peoples'
games, challenge people, etc.  There's even a dynamic rating system.. and
you can also play against the computer opponent ManyFaces online (free).

P.S. - I'm not sure if it's true, but someone (i think on this list) said
that if you put in a .jp email address, they charge you money to play
online.  I didn't tempt fate, so I used my U.S. email address.... :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)