Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (Was: kterm/kinput2 conversion)

On Sep 11,  1:53pm, "Eric S. Standlee" wrote:
} Subject: Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (Was: kterm/kinput2 conversion)

Eric asked:

>> What environment variables/software/etc do I need to send email in
>> ISO-2022-JP?  Can that be done with my current config of
>> kinput2/canna/kterm?  That is how I am using pine so that I can read
>> Japanese email, but when I send in EUC and SJIS my receivers have gotten
>> mojibake...

I'm not a pine user, so I can't really say, but I see the  Man page says
things like: "Pine  meets  the minimal  MIME  compliance  requirements"
and "the focus of the MIME implementation has been to allow users  to
attach  files  to  messages", so I woudn't hope too hard that it can do the
full fol-de-rol for Japanese text.

I use an archaic mail handler called "mush" which gives me the opton of
changing editors. For sending/replying to Japanese email, I cut in a JIS
version of jstevie and blaze away. Has worked well for years, but is now
stumbling when it arrives at a client which won't believe the text is
Jaapnese unless there is a MIME header saying so.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University