Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (correction)

    Klaus> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> This depends on how you chose to organize your files and so on.
    >> For example, someone who mirrors (or caches) pages might end up
    >> with a directory of files of mixed encodings.  This certainly
    >> won't work if

    Klaus> Well, IMHO this is bad organization ;) Create
    Klaus> subdirectories or use different extensions... (In the fist
    Klaus> case, you would have to put a different .htaccess in each
    Klaus> directory).

Both solutions are unavailable in the case of mirrors or caches.  You
want a per file solution, and a solution that does not require operator
intervention.

    Klaus> And if you don't want do that, it is still possible for
    Klaus> Apache to define the encoding by individual file (using a
    Klaus> .var file, IIRC).

And the .var file solution is simply hideous.  Better to use shtml and
have the server parse the META HTTP-EQUIV header itself.  (I don't
know if such a extension to shtml is available, but it should be.)

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091