Re: tlug: Japanese filenames (was: EUC & SJIS)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> Let's face it. English is a de facto standard in everything that
> smacks technology. We can be sure that everybody using computers
> has a good working knowledge of it.

That is a completely unwarranted assumption.  Those Japanese programmers
you criticized for putting only Japanese comments in their code may well
have been monolingual.  There are many people who use computers, including
those who program them or do network admin, etc., who read little or no
English and speak none at all. I know quite a few of them.

> start with Kanji filenames on a Japanese server and a Frechman
> wants to download a file. Well, he could as well buy himself a
> rope.

Is this meant to imply that French people can't read Japanese?  The only
two of them I've met over here were very good.  Moreover, why would a
person who couldn't read Japanese want to download a file that was in
Japanese anyway?

Cheers,

Jonathan