Re: tlug: Japanese filenames (was: EUC & SJIS)

> > HOWEVER, filenames that aren't in romaji, are, IMHO, a BadThang (tm), as
> > it makes it a pain in the *** for sysadmins to deal with those files on
> > standard terminals which may be completely incapable of decoding the
> > japanese or providing japanese input.

Exactly.

> I have to disagree.  Computers exist only to make things easy for human
> users.  Forcing non-English users to use only 7 bit ascii characters in
> filenames is simply unnaceptable.

Let's face it. English is a de facto standard in everything that
smacks technology. We can be sure that everybody using computers
has a good working knowledge of it. Just imagine somebody would
start with Kanji filenames on a Japanese server and a Frechman
wants to download a file. Well, he could as well buy himself a
rope. From the experience in  Eurpoe I can only say: hands off
anything that has a regional / national touch for thing that
aren't stricly limited to a region / nation. Global networking
is making ever growing inroads - and consequently English, too.
Like it or hate it - that's the facts. Life is a lot easier
internationally with a common language.

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"