Re: tlug: EUC & SJIS (correction)

Hi all,

On 10-Sep-98 Klaus Kudielka wrote:
> I've been asking myself for a long time: Isn't the recommended way to specify
> the document encoding in the HTTP header? For example, using Apache, I just
> put
>
> AddType "text/html; charset=UTF-8" html
>
> in the .htaccess file in the top-level directory of my www-tree

Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

>From the HTML4 specs:
Unfortunately, not all servers send information about the character encoding
(even when the character encoding is different from the widely used ISO-8859-1
encoding). HTML therefore allows authors a way to tell user agents which
character encoding has been used by specifying it explicitly in the document
header with the META element. For example, to specify that the character
encoding of the current document is "euc-jp", include the following META
declaration:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=euc-jp">

There are many ways to skin a cat;-)

regards,

Jim S.