tlug: EUC & SJIS

>> Acutally

Denifitely.

>> Microsoft Runs S-JIS to the best of my knowledge and I have no clue
>> what Mac does.

Deep down Mac's OS and JLK were SJIS, but I gather that the latest OS
release is Unicode inside, but with a SJIS wrapper to enable olde apps
to run. Perhaps the most awful bit of brain-deadness I saw was the Mac
version of Netscape 2 which could only see Japanese WWW pages in SJIS.
Someone must have told them that there was no other way of doing it.

MS software was exclusively SJIS, but NT is Unicode deep down, and more
and more is leaking out, thank goodness. Also IE has always had the
grace to recognize WWW pages in EUC, etc.

I learnt the hard way that IE actually converts pages into SJIS. In
WWWJDIC I embed the search key in the POST variables for functions like
"continue_displaying_matches_of_this_key". Sure enough, they cam back
from IE in SJIS, although I had sent out the HTML in EUC. Grrrr. The fix
was to %-encode all the Japanese going out in such variables, to keep
the sticky fingers off them, then (doubly) un-% them on return. Doubly,
because %ab%cd came back as %25ab%25cd  8-)}.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University