Re: tlug: Re: Go

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 06:18:25PM +0900, Joe Marchak wrote:

> I used to play a lot ... shogi as well.  I'd be game for a game.
> Also, how about a demo at the next meeting on linux shogi and go?

"A lot" -- we've got a teacher!  ;-)

I tried shogi once, but could never keep the pieces straight, much less
the moves.  Then they started putting captured pieces back on the board
and turning them over and claiming they could now move differently.
They swore they weren't making up the rules as they went along, but ....

I'll be happy to demo cgoban if you'll demo whatever the equivalent is
for shogi (xshogi?).  One of the best commercial go-playing programs is
"The Many Faces of Go" (http://pw1.netcom.com/~fotland/manyfaces.html)
-- it runs fine under dosemu.  I'd be happy to demonstrate it as well
(I've got an old 9.01 version of it).

Regards,
--
Rex

P.S.  Anyone that wants to play a weak (30k) but ardent go player, send
      me private mail and we can arrange to meet on igs.