Re: tlug: Re: MS watching Linux and Borg revealations

> I have to agree with this.  While it is certainly possible for MS to build a
> Linux distribution, it is highly unlikely, for exactly the reason you mention:
> the stability and flexibility of Linux, combined with Microsoft's marketing
> muscle and the GUI already familiar to the hundreds of millions of Windows
> users would be stomping right on the toes of NT.  Give it the full
> multimedia strengths of Windows and access to the huge development funds  that
> MS has, and it would be a bullet aimed straight at the heart of NT.  If MS
> introduce a Linux like that in 2000, NT would be history by 2005 at the
> latest, but probably a lot sooner.  That, in turn, would destroy their current
> lineup, since Windows 98 is the last Windows based on the old DOS/Windows
> line, MS having stated that the next consumer/home user Windows will be built
> on an NT kernel.  They'll never do it.

Sure ? Some time ago they trumpeted a lot for their "Microsoft
Network" and how that would beat the Internet. Well, after that
didn't work out they dropped that and switched to the Internet,
trumpeting out everything short of stating that they invented
it.

OK, now let's play the
fucking-up-Linux-beyond-all-recognition-game ( FOOLBAR ):

1. Compatibility is shit. Away with it ! How do we do it without
getting into trouble with the GPL ? Easy ! Loadable modules to
the rescue. We create a few loadable modules introducing some
new ( of course badly or not documented ) syscalls. There is no
source for these modules, of course. We also put the versions
information to good use: the modules only load with the kernel
binary WE compiled. No more recompiling.....hehehehehe.....

2. The nice little library game: we add some libraries of our
own. Of course we save on documentation here, too. Binary only.

3. We want the same look and feel as Windows. Therefore we make
our own window manager. Its interface is incompatible and badly
documented. Binary only.

4. We see to it that our applications run only on our
distribution.

5. We call it Windows-FOOLBAR (tm) and trumpet it out as a major
advance in computing.

6. For the first time in our history we a quality product with
very little effort of our own - and the best thing - IT IS
INCOMPATIBLE TO EVERYTHING ELSE ! So everybody has to buy it in
order to run our stuff.

7. We gain 99 % market share in the Linux market in no time and
power-shovel in money.

NEVER forget: M$ is NOT concerned about technology. They are
concerned about making money - and if Linux holds more promise
of making money than their present OS's, they'll drop them like
the proverbial hot potato.......

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"