Re: tlug: isdn dsu/ta + isp providers in Tokyo - Linux/WinNT compatible?

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

Jonathan:

>> Aiwa also works with Linux, although due to broken microcode, it needed a
>> Linux kernel patch to prevent dropping about half of the packets (Scott, is
>> this patch still necessary, or is it incorporated into the current kernel?).

>no, it's not, and it shouldn't be - the kernel is correct, the TA is
>broken.  You take a performance hit on non-AIWA TAs/modems if you install
>the patch.  Basically the patch comments out the line in ppp.c that tells
>it to compress PPP header packets or something like that.  Aiwa's TA needs
>the patch, not the kernel :)

Yeah, exactly.  I said it was broken microcode, but since we can't patch the
Aiwa TA, we have to apply a fix on the Linux side of the fence.  Bottom line:
don't get an Aiwa TA:-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>