tlug: Re: MS watching Linux and Borg revealations

At 18:13 98/09/03 +0900, ST wrote:

>    jb> One way or another, you will be assimilated ;-)

st>Don't bet on it.

I`ll put a \5000 bet on this: in 18 months time, starting say now, MS
announces (and possibily even introduces) its *own version* of Linux (a
matter about which nothing can be legally done under the GNU licence).
Three reasons why.  First, to offer an MS alternative to the IT timid who
nevertheless suffer some need/craving for Linux; second, to stem--or
attempt to stem--erroding market share in certain key areas; and third, to
do all the wonderful things for Linux that they have been doing for Java.

MS Linux.  The big money`s on the horizon.  Who`s willing to sign up?  JB`s
point, I take it, is that the people who aren`t  had better--in some
way--get there first.  (RedHat news item: over 80% of their customers are
people new not just to Linux but to Unix and Unix-derived OSs.)

Best with the usual and the unusual,
TJH