Re: tlug: MSNBC: MS watching Linux

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     jb> desktop apps on a couple thousand machines and there are half
>     jb> a dozen window managers with half a dozen config files, your
>     jb> IS people have a lot more work cut out for them and the
>     jb> process takes a lot longer.
>
> That's why competent IS people install small linux partitions on the
> WinXYZ boxes and do the app distribution using *nix networking.
> Halves the work even if each window manager needs to be solved
> separately.
>
> <NOT-A-PLUG-BUT-AN-EXAMPLE>
> But they don't.  Debian does not distribute window managers unless
> they contain the necessary scripts to be integrated into Debian's
> general menuing scheme.  Update one menu configuration, then propogate
> using the wm-specific script.
> </I-LIED-IT-WAS-REALLY-A-PLUG-BUT-IM-STILL-A-TL-BETA-TESTER-OK-SCOTT>

well, we only specifically *support* the TurboDesk environment with
Afterstep.. but I figured that a lot of advanced users might have
different WM preferences, so I include the other ones as a courtesy to
those people.  TL's configuration tools (except for the Afterstep specific
ones like the color/font/pulldown menu editors) will work on any WM, and
the next version of TL will have a menu/app launcher bar which will be
completely WM-independent (it's not in the 2.1.0 beta, though -- maybe
2.1.1 :) ).

Besides, many wms are moving towards GNOME - The maintainer(s) of
Afterstep have announced that AS will be GNOME-compliant in the near
future.  So hopefully this desktop mess will be resolved soon.  Hopefully
with KDE redesigning itself around gtk+ and becoming GNOME compliant, as
well.  It's not going to fly as a GNOME alternative, IMHO - too much
political crap involved revolving around Qt.  Not only that, but AFAICT
KDE is the only app that builds cleanly on Qt 1.40 - older Qt apps barf on
1.40, KDE barfs on 1.3x, and both versions of Qt are shipped as libqt.so.1
(isn't that cute?!)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)