tlug: Installing JDK

Has anyone installed the Java Development Kit on Linux?
I'm looking at the site ftp://lagrange.la.asu.edu/pub/Linux_jdk/ and i'm
wondering which file i'm supposed to download. I tried downloading a
couple of them, and one (RH5.0_jdk1.1.6v1.1.tar.gz) had errors when i
unzipped it, and another that i downloaded (RH5.x_jdk1.1) unzipped fine
but i don't know what to do with it now that it's there. This site is slow
as molasses, so i want to make sure i'm getting the right thing before i
try again.
1. Is there a better, faster site to get the JDK for Linux?
2. When i get it, what do i do to get it running?
    Thanks,
        Dave