RE: tlug: Question about resolv.conf

Hi Matt,

On 02-Sep-98 Matt Gushee wrote:
> just a quick question here. Is it okay to have entries for 2 different
> domains in resolv.conf? Normally I connect to my campus network from
> home, but I also have an account w/ a commercial provider, to which I
> will be connecting (via IPASS) while I'm on the road for the next
> couple of weeks. The most convenient thing would be to just have
> entries for both domains in resolv.conf, but I wonder if that might
> cause problems. Anybody know?

I checked a couple of references (Running Linux, Linux Network Administrator's
Guide and Unix System Administration Handbook) and none mention the possibility
of multiple domains in resolv.conf.

Some programs like sendmail would probably have a problem with it, but if you're
just going to pick up mail using a mail client, like netscape, it should be ok
to just comment out the domain name (remember use ; not #) and just list the
nameservers on different lines.

HTH

Jim S.