Re: tlug: SCSI cables and PCMCIA hosts

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I'm just about to go order a PCMCIA SCSI host; the only ones by a
> reputable (if not on this list, eh, Chris?) manufacturer that I've
> seen are Adaptecs; in particular, Mylex/Buslogic doesn't seem to make
> one.  Any other choices?  Recommendations?

*laugh* Well, at least my opinions are well-known.

Adaptec used to make decent equipment -- I liked the 1542 (although the -B
version of that card had some pretty serious problems).  It's the AIC-78xx
that has my undying hatred.

I used the APA-1460 in my laptop while it was still alive.  It uses the
same chip as the 15[12]0, so it's moderately trustworthy.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)