Re: JB's NJWIN note (was: Re: tlug: Netscape and RH5.0)

On Aug 27,  4:48pm, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
} Subject: Re: JB's NJWIN note (was: Re: tlug: Netscape and RH5.0)

>> I have my sights set even higher: MacOS features the Japanese Language Kit,
>> which not only enables English applications for Japanese use (and there are
>> similar kits for the other double-byte languages), but enanbles English MacOS
>> to run quite a few Japanese apps.  The Windows 95/NT side of the fence
>> features TwinBridge and a couple of work-alikes that do the same thing as
>> Apple's JLK, except AFAIK they don't enable you to run Japanese apps.  I've
>> used TwinBridge, and it's very good, the next best thing to actually having a
>> Japanese Windows system.

One of the sad things is that there used to be Win/V which for Windows 3.1
did an almost complete JLK function. I don't know the ins and outs of it,
but I gather their approach was scotched in Windows95, and they have faded
from the scene.

>> So like you, I find myself asking a question something like "How hard can this
>> be, if there's a market?"  After all, it's been done on lots of other
>> platforms already.

Well, I think the *real* solution is to finish the unfinished work of
making X11 properly multilingual. It's so close, and yet not quite there.
I can mostly get things like Netscape displaying OK, but I can't run a
Japanese IM with it (I can cut from kterm.) But to run double byte text
properly, I have to fire up kterms, etc. IBM went a long way with aixterm,
but the bog standard versions have never quite got that far.

Sooo, I feel that looking for a JLK-like bolt-on is energy wasted. better
to concentrate on cleaning up the underlying architecture.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University