Re: tlug: Netscape and RH5.0

On Aug 25,  1:59pm, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Jim Breen wrote:
>>
>> I'd just like to say that the new feature for translating a block of Japanese
>> text on your dictionary server is a terrific addition.  Thank you!

Why thank you. I'm pleased that it seems to work, mostly, given the, er,
lightweight nature of it operation. I have toyed with extending it to work
with kana, but (a) the analysis needed to identify kana tomken is heavy,
and would probably need something like Juman/Chasen in the background, and
(b) the dictionary is not well setup to handle it. I'd probably need to
add another small file of kana specials.

>> One thing you might try is grabbing the Japanese hacked version of Commnicator
>> 4.04 from PHT's ftp server (phtarchive.pht.co.jp), appropriately dubbed
>> "muriyari."  The hack was done by some programmers in Japan, and PHT's
>> TurboLinux-J now includes the muriyari version in the distribution. It
>> displays Japanese properly in forms, and allows Japanese input in them.
>>
>> It's an RPM, so you should be able to drop it right in.

I grabbed and tried, but I found it was an extension to the normal 4.04
(?) rpm, so it failed because of lack of the right dependencies. The 4.06
I installed was from Netscape, and just used their installation script,
which worked fine.

I guess I'd need to manually remove all of the existing Netscape, including
all the Java classes, etc. etc., then install the 4.04 rpm, then the
muriyari rpm?

Before I embark on anything quite that radical, can you tell me what the
design goals were for muriyari? Was there a specific problem, or was it
general Japanization?

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University