Re: tlug: Question about spam

Hi Matt,

I understand spams are telephone call "charge collect", which
force us to accept without approval.  They waste our money for
connection, ISP, disk space, CPU power or whatever related to
the delivery of them to us (or third party) without our permission.

Yes, I also enjoy sometimes the contents of the spams - think
of such and such curious businesses, finding "jokes", etc.
Personally I am not tooo concerned.

However if it is targeted to the server, or the mailing list
address, the unwilling cost to us or our community will be
amplified substantially.  I am a member of steering committee
for regional based non-profit ISP, and did experience its
server was loaded fully with the "relaying" of spam, which
ended almost total unavailability of OUR server to OUR members.
The cost associated to this kind of violence is enormous, and
we should fight, or at least protect ourselves against such.

The forced relay of spams to other site(s) may cause similar
problems to other site(s) in much higher level.

So, I believe it is a commonly accepted practice at least
to protect one's own server against spammers.

Regards,
Ken

Oh, I am picking up e-mails as telephone calls -- maybe more,
like dialling my wife every two hours asking "is there any
telephone from my friends?" -- I dial to my server from
Keitai Denwa - I don't like to waste the high Keitai fee
for just receiving junk.

At Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:28:53 +0900, Matt Gushee <matt@example.com> wrote:-
> Hi, folks--
>
> This is really not about Linux, but since it's an issue that I know
> concerns everyone here, I hope you'll humor me.
>
> I'm curious as to why some people feel as strongly about spam as they
> do. Now, don't misunderstand me. I am against spam, philosophically
> and emotionally, no ifs, ands, or buts. But (oops, I lied! there is one
> "but") most of the time I respond to spam much as I would to a dog
> turd in my driveway: yes, it's unpleasant, and if I know whose dog did
> it, I'll ask them to police their pooch; but I don't spend much time
> worrying about it. Whereas some people, including several members of
> this mailing list, seem to regard it as something akin to an armed man
> breaking into their homes.
>
> For those who are passionate about this, let me repeat: I think we're
> all on the same side of this issue. I would just like to understand
> your point of view a little better. I tend to think that spam can
> never be completely eradicated, only controlled. Do you think I'm
> mistaken about that?
>
> If you respond, I'd also be interested in your answer to this:
>
> Do you treat your e-mail more like the telephone (you have to pick it
> up immediately) or more like snail mail (it's there waiting, and you
> look at it when you're ready). I could be completely wrong about this,
> but I have a hunch that the people who feel most strongly about spam
> will tend to be those who feel that e-mail is like the telephone.
>
> Hoping for a peaceful dialog (if you think it should be off-list,
> that's fine with me),

I hope so too.

Ken Harada (原田 健)   JO1VRK/JE3SEN    Hayama, japan
kenhrd@example.com       http://www.hayama.net/~kenhrd/
Member of: Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama (IMASY)
	   Tokyo Linux Users Group (TLUG)