Re: tlug: PJE

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

>I think everyone here knows that I'm rabidly anti-Microsoft.  I would
>_love_ to see Linux displace Microsoft as the dominant OS.  If that
>happens, however, I fear that Linux will _become_ a Microsoft-level
>product -- because the user base will not care about quality products.

Depends on how you define a quality product.  One good definition of a quality
product is something as bullet-proof as UNIX and easier to use than Windows 95
or a Macintosh.  "Can't be done," ye unbelievers may say.  Those with faith
will say "Hasn't been done. But can and will be."  The really great thing
about Linux isn't just that you can fix stuff.  The really, over-archingly
great thing is that a Linux system can be built (and someday will be) where
installing a package is as simple as dragging it from point A to point B.  It
will take care of dependencies automatically if the necessary packages are
present on your system.  If not, it will tell you what it needs, know where to
get it, and ask you if you would like it to do so for you.  If you say "yes,"
it will open a connection to your ISP (if necessary), get the stuff, and
install it for you.

But this same system will not *require* you to do any of that stuff.  If you'd
rather not use the package manager at all, but manually FTP all the source you
need and compile it yourself, that same Linux will let you do that, too.
That's easy.  Linux already has that covered.  You're doing that now.

If you want Linux to dethrone MS, or at least take a real big chunk out of it,
you MUST make Linux not as easy to use as Windows, but easier.  And of course,
much more reliable.  There is no other way to get it done.  Sure, selling
Linux to UNIX programmers is easy.  But the reason there is next to nothing
in the way of desktop apps available for Linux (and even fewer, if you want
languages other than English) is that so far, it's pretty much *only* UNIX
programmers and sysadmins who have been using it.  Fortunately, the last year
has seen a major breakout from that niche and the number of Linux users has
probably nearly doubled.

If you want to win the war, you have to win the desktop.  That's how MS did
it.  The desktop can (and did) invade the back office.  The UNIX server in the
back office has a real tough time trying invade the desktop.  Ask Sun.  You
can't win the desktop if you don't have a system that *anybody* can sit down
and use.  Make a UNIX that can do that and you'll have the better MouSetrap.
Show people a computer easier to use than a Mac, with the best package
management in the world and multimedia as easy and effortless as a Mac or a
Windows 95 machine.  THEN - tell them this computer doesn't even have crash in
its vocabulary, can do everything NT Server can do and quite a few things it
can't, and tell them they can buy the operating system for less than the cost
of Windows ninety-whatever and that the world is also filled with tons of very
friendly and dedicated user groups who will give them lots of e-mail help if
they have a question.

Then you keep the backroom mostly UNIX.  Probably win back market share and
mindshare from NT Server.  You build a beachhead on the desktop and breakout.
You start seeing computers with Linux Inside all over the place.  Any decent
computer store sells them.  The CD-ROMs are on every rack.  Life is good.

To borrow, with no disrespect intended, the words of Dr. King, I Have a Dream.

OK, so I know the odds on this could be long, because the window (no pun
intended) of opportunity may only be that afforded by Microsoft's delays on NT
5, but there is a window of opportunity open right now.  But an OS that's only
for the hackers of the hackers can never step through it.  But an OS that's
bulletproof and easier to use than a Mac or Windows can.

>How does this tie into package managers?  Simple.  Package managers
>trivialize the most basic requirement of system administration:
>installation and removal of software.  Folks don't need to understand

That should be trivial.  The fact that it's not is an indictment of the
current state of the system.

>God, I'm turning into Stallman.  Guess I'll have to grow my hair out.

It's too late, Chris.  He might not want to hang around with you, because
you're too reactionary for his tastes ;-)

Have a good one,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>