tlug: Question about spam

Hi, folks--

This is really not about Linux, but since it's an issue that I know
concerns everyone here, I hope you'll humor me.

I'm curious as to why some people feel as strongly about spam as they
do. Now, don't misunderstand me. I am against spam, philosophically
and emotionally, no ifs, ands, or buts. But (oops, I lied! there is one
"but") most of the time I respond to spam much as I would to a dog
turd in my driveway: yes, it's unpleasant, and if I know whose dog did
it, I'll ask them to police their pooch; but I don't spend much time
worrying about it. Whereas some people, including several members of
this mailing list, seem to regard it as something akin to an armed man
breaking into their homes.

For those who are passionate about this, let me repeat: I think we're
all on the same side of this issue. I would just like to understand
your point of view a little better. I tend to think that spam can
never be completely eradicated, only controlled. Do you think I'm
mistaken about that?

If you respond, I'd also be interested in your answer to this:

Do you treat your e-mail more like the telephone (you have to pick it
up immediately) or more like snail mail (it's there waiting, and you
look at it when you're ready). I could be completely wrong about this,
but I have a hunch that the people who feel most strongly about spam
will tend to be those who feel that e-mail is like the telephone.

Hoping for a peaceful dialog (if you think it should be off-list,
that's fine with me),

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido