Re: tlug: PJE

> You left out another annoying symptom of this - how they tend to leave some
> files behind when you uninstall a package, and your system gradual fills up
> with these little software turds.  Doubtless one of the reasons Windows 95 is
> a lot more stable if you re-install it from scratch once or twice a year.

Are you kidding me?  With that kind of frequency of change, you're
liable to get into a lot of trouble... Try more like re-installing and
starting from scratch like once or twice a month... at least it's like
that for me... :D  ok... I'm exaggerating a bit, to be fair... but I
think I do a format c: at least once every 3 months...

> And let's not forget how badly upgrading works (essentially doesn't).  If I
> get the next version of say, Paint Shop Pro, I can't say "OK, upgrade 5.01 to
> 5.03."  Oh, no.  I have to uninstall 5.01, then install the complete 5.03
> package.  Otherwise, I get a broken and unremoveable uninstall entry for 5.01
> left in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.  Well, there's probably a way
> to remove it, but none of the paper or e-docs with Windows tell you what
> file you might edit to do that.

but I think you guys are crazy for not using uninstallers in your
Windows boxes... your HDD will fill up way too fast if you don't...

> Not only RPM, but I'm sure d-select and any other package managers in the
> Linux world are light years ahead of that.

that is definitely true... :D