Re: tlug: PJE

> The problem is that Debian already has 1500+ packages in hamm/main,
> 300+ in hamm/non-free, 150+ in hamm/config, and dselect is getting
> more than a little unwieldy.  I won't even try to compare any of the
> RPM managers, they're all worse (sorry, Scott, but you know what I'm
> complaining about).

    Scott> actually, splitting this up isn't that hard.  It's just
    Scott> time consuming.  RPM can handle it without difficulty.
[...]
    Scott> Xemacs doesn't really enter into it, since there's no
    Scott> libXEmacs for development, last I checked?  XEmacs
    Scott> development is done in Elisp, right?

Ah, I guess I didn't make my point.  It's not that _your_ part is very
hard, nor that XEmacs has libraries (although they may appear in the
next year or so).  It's that the more fine-grained we make this stuff,
the more packages appear in the dselect/turbopkg menus, and let's not
even talk about glint.  And everybody seems to want fine-grained.  This
is becoming more important, especially for "the good guys" like PHT,
because internationalization means multiple packages for all the docs,
etc.

It's not a developer or PMS problem, it's sysadmin information overload.

    Scott> I believe that it was your experience in this matter that
    Scott> caused me to put that policy in the docs in the first place
    Scott> :) I never did figure out exactly what was causing that
    Scott> problem, but it was probably bad packages in 1.0 that were
    Scott> doing it.

I never had any 1.0 packages.  It was always TL-beta -> next TL-beta.
Unless you mean hangovers that hadn't been upgraded yet.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091