Re: tlug: PJE

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > Chris - I know you feel that everyone should 'roll their own', as it
> > were, but if Linux is going to rise up to challenge the MS empire, it's
> > got to be easy enough for people who are currently using Windows or
> > MacOS.
>
> Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's not realistic -- on this point, I don't
> think I can really help feeling this way.  Converting from a viewpoint
> like this is akin to deliberately trying to move from libertarianism to
> republicanism.

Reminds me of a 'Far Side' cartoon I saw once - shows two little kids
sneaking out of a circus tent and heading towards a bunch of skyscrapers,
and the caption says, "Late at night, Barnum and Bailey's respective sons
run away to join Corporate America" ...

Oh well, at least RPM is light years ahead of the Windows applications'
packaging system - for one thing, they don't know which files they own -
ie, if you have a missing file, you can't tell what package it came from,
so you don't know what to reinstall to fix it...

... and another example, last night I installed the Total Annihilation 3.1
update patch.  I had 2.0b1 on my system before that.  Anyway, I go to
install the patch and it says, "Patch failed - probably you don't have the
right version of TA for this patch..." .. so I see that the patch calls
itself "TA 1.x->3.1 patch", so i figure, I have 2.0b1, it doesn't work.
Then I look at the readme, which says it upgrades all versions.  SO, I
uninstall TA and reinstall from my CD, and then run the patch again.  Same
result... WTF, i think??  Then I notice that the patch is 8MB, and I have
9MB free on the drive... so I free up some disk space, and voila it works.
You'd think the dang thing could figure out 'insufficient disk space' --?
I'm pretty sure that Microsoft VC++ and Borland C++ implement the errno
functions, after all.

So, it could be worse, eh?

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)