Re: tlug: PJE

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > What about people who don't want to do *any* development - then you
> > bloat their systems with unneeded header files.  The header files (and
> > incidentally the static libs as well, where applicable), are in
> > (library)-devel-xxx-xx.rpm packages, which I believe is where they
> > belong.
>
> Okay, then how about this:
>
> Headers belong in library-devel.  Shared library belongs in
> library-(null).  Static library belongs in library-static.  Everything
> nicely labelled, and none of this
> have-to-install-the-static-library-to-get-anything-to-compile nonsense.
>
> I still don't like it, but I really don't want to get into a discussion of
> the merits of using prepackaged binaries (and the deficiencies of the
> package managers thereof) versus compiling one's own.
>
> -- Chris

Chris - I know you feel that everyone should 'roll their own', as it were,
but if Linux is going to rise up to challenge the MS empire, it's got to
be easy enough for people who are currently using Windows or MacOS.  Those
people want things done for them - many of them think that C is "just
another letter", and their brows furrow in confusion when you mention the
dynamic linker, static libraries, Makefiles, even SysV init scripts.
Linux should be an open system - ie, open to everyone who wants to get
away from Microsoft.  For people like you who want to 'roll your own', you
can do so.  For people who want an integrated 'plug it in, turn it on, and
start using it' Linux system, then they should go get TurboLinux or Debian
or Redhat or one of the other distributions.

BTW, I like your suggestion of library-(null), library-devel,
library-static.  it'll take me a while to implement that, though, unless
you want to help, Chris :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)