Re: tlug: PJE

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote,

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > Right, but it is also very nice to be able to mix Redhat's and TL's
> > library packages.
>
> Nice, perhaps.  Wise?  I don't think so.
>
> Perhaps I'm old-fashioned.  Although I can grudgingly admit that using
> precompiled executables is sometimes okay (and often necessary: quake and
> WP, for example), I contend that one should NOT make a habit of plugging
> shared library RPMs into their system.
>
> There is just too much variance between the RedHat environment and the TL
> environment.  A library compiled for RedHat 24.7 could have been compiled
> against glibc-3.14, while TL ships with glibc-3.15.  Maybe Ulrich changed
> one of the fields in the dirent struct (don't laugh -- it has been done)
> between 3.14 and 3.15, and it breaks that RedHat library.

I don't mind compiling some stuff myself, but at the bottom
line, the strategy of using rpms and only compiling myself
whenever I hit problems is overall faster for me than not
trying the rpms (because most of the time they work pretty
fine).  And if it doesn't work, rpm makes it easy to get rid
of the whole stuff again.

I used Slackware for one year and got (apart from JE) all
extra software in source and compiled it myself.  Can be
fun, but then there are quite many brain dead makefiles and
install scripts out their.  Of course, in the end, I always
got the stuff installed, but it often costed some time.  By
switching to rpm, I saved quite some time fiddling around
with things and now I usually have more up-to-date version
installed than I had previously.  Leaves me more time to
hack on more interesting things than other peoples install
procedures.

Anyway, in the end, the nice thing with Linux is that you
got a choice :-)

Cheers,

Manuel