Re: tlug: PJE

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote,

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > I think what happened is that Redhat started the practice, and it seems
> > that all the 3rd parties packaging libs as RPMs are doing it the same
> > way.
>
> I'm going to steal a march on Stephen here.
>
> Just because RedHat does it doesn't make it right.  If you install the
> shared library, you should have the headers installed at the same time.
> It's sort of pointless to only have them available if you install the
> static library (which most people will never use).

Right, but it is also very nice to be able to mix Redhat's
and TL's library packages.  Actually, I prefer being able to
mix them over saving some harddisk space (I always also
install the develp versions of the libs) -- I mean if you
have X and XEmacs on your system, you can't be worrying
about some kB for some static libs.

In other words, I agree with you on the technical point, but
I am also happy that Scott made the decision to stay with
the ``defacto standard'' of making .rpm-packed libs.  If we
want to change it, we should propose this change to the rpm
community as a whole.

Cheers,

Manuel