Re: tlug: Avoiding WINE

Scott Stone writes:

 > > ... that they dare to call a spreadsheet? Or used the mail
 > > application? Yuck.
 >
 > Hm, we use it in-house here (the spreadsheet), and I kind of like it.  The
 > Japanese version includes some performance upgrades over the U.S. version
 > (at least the U.S. version that I have).

Ah, well, maybe it's getting better -- or maybe Red Hat messed up the
US version that I have. But my experience with has been so bad that
I'm not keen to give it a second chance: things like --

- always coming up in Helvetica 14 point, no matter what I set the
default font to.
- non-intuitive keyboard behavior
- you can't cut and paste data without cell attributes
- changing my dates from European to American format without warning --
i.e., transposing month and day numbers that could have been either --
e.g. 03/12/98 -> 12/03/98. I found this horrifying (what other data
might it be mangling?), and it wasn't fixed when they released an
upgrade a few months ago. Hard to believe nobody told them.

This is about a quarter of the list of complaints I never sent to Red
Hat because I knew it wasn't finished (and as you probably know, Red
Hat doesn't win any awards for easy accessibility to users).

Well, I'm reasonably open minded. If you cared (and were able) to
convince me that PHT's release is a great deal less buggy, I might
even give it a try.

Matt