Re: tlug: Linux Standards Association

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> wrote,
>
> > This article about the Linux Standards Association (LSA) appeared on news.com
> > today:
> >
> > http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C25453%2C00.html?dd.ne.tx.fs
>
> Unfortunately, it seems to be a slightly dubious
> organization according to discussion on slashdot
> <http://slashdot.org/>.  What I find funny in the above
> article is that they write
>
>  In a posting on a site frequented by Linux developers, LSA
>  chief Michael McLagan responded to a slew of messages
>  protesting the LSA's particular efforts to standardize
>  Linux.
>
> I am quite sure the ``site frequented by Linux developers''
> is slashdot, but they don't dare to link it :-)
>
> I think, it is very interesting to observe how people who
> don't seem to have any experience with the open-source
> community try apply their ``closed business methods'' and
> how the open-source community reacts.  This will get more
> and more exciting soon, I guess.
>
> Wrt. to standards, I'd rather trust the folks from RedHat,
> Debian, PHT, etc. rather than the LSA.

You should see what the people on the LSB (Linux Standard Base - the group
mandated by Linux International to create the base system... PHT's a
member, as is Redhat, Debian, Caldera, Suse, and a bunch of ISVs, contrary
to what the LSA claims) have to say about it.    Basically if you join the
LSA you have to *buy* votes if you want to have a say in anything...
sounds like a scam to me.  With the LSB/LCS project, it's free, and that's
where all the important people are developing things (ie, all the people
from PHT, Redhat, Debian, Caldera, Suse, Metrolink, EST, and others,
including individuals such as Alan Cox...) Hopefully LI will post an
announcement about the status of the LSB in rebuttal to this LSA thing and
clear the air..

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)