Re: tlug: Linux as Trade Mark?

    Kei> If there is the proctection already due to Paris Treaty as
    Kei> JLUG poeple claim, Is the applicatioo unnecessary?

Yes and no.  It is much easier to get Japanese courts to support a
claim based on a Japanese trademark than a claim based on a foreign
mark via the Paris treaty.  This is true for any country, of course.

    Kei> I really don't think using Linux name to other business makes
    Kei> any profitable.  Why prevent them from doing that?

It doesn't, necessarily; it just doesn't give blanket permission.
It's up to Linus to decide.  Also, trademarks are in principle
restricted to a particular company's line of business; if you want to
call your new variety of rice "Linux", I doubt a court would stop you.

    >> In Japan, this seems to be where I didn't do enough consensus
    >> building.

    Kei> I really don't think it has anything to do with Japan
    Kei> culture.

Maybe, maybe not.  However, a complaint based on lack of nemawashi
will go a long way to damage PHT here, whereas noone in the US would
pay any attention at all.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091