RE: tlug: WINE

Hi,

On 14-Aug-98 Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
>  Is anybody getting any better results than this on Wine with Win32
>  apps?  I got the latest one, and Paintshop Pro 5 changed its death
>  note, but still doesn't work:
>
>  [jq@example.com Paint Shop Pro 5]$ wine -winver win95 Psp.exe
>  Unexpected Windows program segfault - opcode = a5
>  Page fault in 32-bit code (0x080d362a).
>  Fault address is 0x00000000
>
>  (It freezes there until I hit ctrl-c)

from a 10-meg executable :). If it appears frozen with cpu busy, then
that's probably what's happening; if it freezes idle, then I suppose
that is a Wine bug.
  I can get Psp5 to continue until it's drawn the initial loading flash
and some of the initial window, after which it dies somewhere in Psp's
code. If you can get a complete debug trace out of it (the whole
death message plus the last 50 lines of "wine -debugmsg +relay
someprog.exe" is usually good), someone on comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine
may have more to say...

>  There's a fairly decent Japanese text editor for Windows95/NT called
>  Vivi, and it gets this:

[...]

>  I like that 0xdeadbeef address :-)

They used to be set to NULL, but 0xDEADBEEF is now used I think because
it's easier to pick out from the other million causes of null pointers
in a debug trace.

>  Are those messages indicative of something I have messed up in my
>  wine.conf, or is just normal for something that dies?  PSP 5 used to
>  do the same thing, except it didn't say 0xdeadeef.  I'm totally new
>  to Wine, so I don't know what should be considered a normal failure.

KERNEL, USER, and KEYBOARD are all Windows builtin modules that can't
be used directly by Wine; what you're seeing are functions that aren't
implemented in the respective emulated versions, and furthermore (as
they're only given by ordinal) functions that nobody involved with
Wine has yet found names for.
  Regrettably, there are a fair number of such undocumented ordinal-
onlys, but most of the significant ones from those three modules
should have been found a long time ago. If they're mostly functions
relating only to Japanese Windows then perhaps I can understand
though.

Japanese support in Wine is unfortunately unlikely to improve unless
more Japanese developers work on it. A quick scan on the AUTHORS file
shows me no obvious Japanese names...

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?