tlug: Linux as Trade Mark?

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 > Arrrgh.  All Linus did was to extend the GPL logic to trademarks.  Do

Interesting. Could you tell us more about this (unless I'm the only
one who doesn't know)? Extending the logic is great, but are we also
extending the legal safeguards? That is, if you put a program under
the GPL, you can never un-GPL it. I don't find any comparable language
in PHT's trademark statement ... but then I know zip about trademark
law, so for all I know it could be implied or hidden somewhere. But
taking it at face value, what if, a few years down the road, the Bad
Guys(TM) take over PHT? What's to stop them from saying, "Sorry, new
rules: now nobody but us can use the trademark in Japan." Could Linus
then intervene (assuming he wanted to, which I guess he would) and
cause them to lose their rights, or ....?

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan