Re: tlug: Start and stop Apache on TL2.0

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Shigeo Honda wrote:

> Scott, Manuel, Thank you for your support.
>
> I did restart Apache from remote terminal
> I read a Apache guide book published by Softbank corp. and html document
> on www.apache.org.
> They said to start and stop Apache as 'kill -TERM /etc/......' or 'kill
> -HUP /etc/......'.
> Wow. I forgot to use 'locate' command.

yeah, well the TL distribution of Apache (and the RH one) puts files in
places that make sense with respect to the rest of the system - Apache's
defaults simply *don't* make sense on a SysV-init-based distribution,
IMHO.  I wish (does this already exist ?) that I could just send a SIGHUP
or SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2 to apache to make it re-read its config files, but, the
stop/restart thing usually works fine.

Also, 'locate' will not work unless your system is left on overnight at
least once (whereas cron will run the cron.daily and run updatedb and
makewhatis), or unless you 'makewhatis' and 'updatedb' manually.  The
installer probably should at least give you the option to do that after
install, but it (currently) does not.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)