tlug: Re: PCI [was: dual-pentium processors]

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 02:17:36PM +0000, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> Actually, I'm always shocked by the knowledge ( or better lack
> thereof ) in rf engineering issues common to digital hardware
> designers. Just look at PCI and their great ( truly hair
> raising ) scheme of dealing with line reflections. The inventors
> of that ought to be nuked.

Synchronicity.  Someone else just mentioned this to me recently.

What exactly does the PCI spec dictate?  My friend made it sound like
they basically mandated an impedance mismatch/improper termination.  I'm
working on something using industrial single board computers and passive
PCI backplanes, and this talk is making me nervous.  I'm going to need
to select a passive PCI backplane vendor here shortly....

Any more info or references, Karl-Max?  My RF experience is limited to
ham radio and sophomore EE courses (yikes! both around 15 years ago).

Regards,
--
Rex