Re: tlug: Re: GUI Linux reliability vs other OS

X and *nix, no matter what your window manager,
(and fvwm95 might be the easiest to start people on, much as I hate it)
will take some learning curve from people used to Windows/Mac

More importantly you will have to find a good editor that people can
use, and if your cow-orkers don't write HTML as text you will have to
find HTML writers.

Personally I install vim/nvi onto a system, and stop, but you will want
to do some looking for the write combination for yourself, and that
propbably isn't it.

It is rather tough to knowck over a linux box without trying, especially
if you have hardware that is supported.  However as a friend of mine
once said  "If UNIX prevented me from doing something stupid it would
also prevent me from doing something clever"

The system itself won7t fall over unless someone with root is playing
maliciously most likely, but it is rather easier for a user to wipe out
all their data than it is on Windows/Mac.

You will want to work on some basic default settings, which probably
include things like aliasing rm to 'rm -i' to make it a bit harder for
users to kill everything.

-Scott

Gavin Walker did state upon Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 11:45:46PM -0400:

--
The first thing to be judged must be the standards of Judgement!
  Scott H. perlman@example.com