Re: tlug: mounting removeable media

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Dave>     How can i set it up so that users can mount and unmount
>     Dave> CD ROMs and floppies? Is this sometihng to do with the
>     Dave> "fstab" file?
>
> `man 8 mount' tells you what you need to know....

many people don't like reading manpages, though - esp. since the answer is
to just put 'user' in the flags section in fstab, or su before mounting..

:)  (I know, you're trying to do the RightThang (I know it's trademarked,
but is it LGPL/GPL?) with the manpage, etc...)

> Several approaches, depending on your user population.
>
> (1) All users [who need permission] are really you.
>     A: Put the `user' option in the fstab options.  [If you want to
>        restrict to a subset, chmod o-x /bin/mount and change the group
>        to include your user names.  This is yucky.]
>
> (2) Use sudo, super, or whatever to give restricted superuser access.
>     I like super pretty well so far.  But I actually fall into class (1).
>
>     Dave>     And can't i get these things to automount like other
>     Dave> OS's? (I won't name any OS names which might be offensive to
>     Dave> this crowd)
>
> Sure.  Two approaches, the automounter daemon (although that may work
> only with NFS) and the "autofs" kernel function.  I don't use them, so
> I'm not going to try to explain....

You can use amd to automount local filesystems, but it's considerably more
trouble than it's worth.  I've tried it.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Meeting: October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30