Re: tlug: Japanese extensions on Sparc

From: "Eric S. Standlee" <root@example.com>

> Actually, I have had similar problems with i386 rpms.  The current version
> of xemacs-mule which I am using takes forever to load and complains about
> color matching, so I tried to install the SRPM and go that route, but it
> wouldn't make...

The Emacsen (all of them, not only XEmacs) seem to insist on
doing some hostname lookups during startup.  If you have a
network configured, but it is not reachable, starting any of
the Emacsen will take a long time.  You can easily check
whether this is your problem.  Use `strace', as in

  strace xemacs

It will bombard you with tons of messages about the exeuted
system calls.  If you hit the above mentioned problem, the
output will stop once in a while (until the host lookup gets
a timeout), which leaves you plenty of time to read what the
delaying system call does.

(If it is the hostname lookup, recompiling won't help
anyway, but you have to change your network configuration.)

Cheers,

Manuel
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: