Re: tlug: Xwindows won't run properly

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Dave wrote:
>
> > Is that all?
>
> Pretty much, assuming that your particular Trident 96xx actually works
> with the server (those particular chips are hit-and-miss.  Laptop, right?)

not necessarily a laptop, the 96xx is used in many cheap PCI cards - like
the Jaton series.  We've even got a couple 2MB 9685 cards here that were
about $15 each :) .. I had a lot of trouble getting the sync rates right
with them - certain modelines on the trident card would desync a given
monitor, yet plugging the same monitor into an S3 card with the exact same
modelines would work just fine.  This and the speed problems with the
Trident cards are why I ardently oppose anyone using Trident video cards
with Linux, having owned one myself (for all of about an hour, when I
promptly returned it and exchanged it for an S3 Trio64...)

> > Then i have a follow up question: why was this option put into my
> > XF86config file after i ran Xconfigurator? If i run Xconfigurator
> > again (for whatever reason), will this option be put back in?
>
> I haven't the foggiest.  I don't do RedHat.

It *probably* would be.  I haven't looked at Redhat's Xconfigurator for a
long time, since I diverged with TurboLinux's version of it and rewrote it
from scratch a few months back for TL 2.0.

Does theirs let you set a default color depth other than 8bpp yet?

> --	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

> Next Meeting: 8 August, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
> i386, Sparc, PA-Risc, Amiga, SGI, Alpha, PalmPilot, ...
> Next Nomikai: 18 September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: