Re: tlug: CD-R reliability

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:

> Scott Stone writes:
>  >
>  > Well, CDs are vulnerable to extreme temperatures and (obviously)
>  > scratching... it might have gotten too hot in the plane over to Japan, or
>  > too cold (from Germany to Tokyo, the plane would fly great-circle over
>  > Siberia, right?).  CDs are vulnerable to cold, as well.  possibly the
>  > expansion/contraction of the media under the temperature differential
>  > caused very small cracks in the media that are causing the errors?
> Yes, I can see that, the question is, why does the number of errors in
> crease. Maybe it`s the hot weather here and the temperature difference
> caused by switching on the airconditioning. But it is strange anyway.
>  >
>  > Or you could just have an older or slower CD drive.  Some of those don't
>  > like reading certain CDR disks, it depends on the quality of the drive and
>  > of the CDR media.  3M and Sony CDRs tend to work better in those drives
>  > than the cheaper kinds.
>  >
> I have used several differnt drives with more or less success. It`s
> true that some seem to better than others.

At this point I'm going to say that I suspect low-grade media is the
problem here.  Try it with some nice Sony, Kodak, or 3M CDRs and you'll
have better luck (probably) :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: