Re: tlug: August 8th Meeting Announcment (revised)

> On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Rob Bickel wrote:
>
> >It is not a good idea to include the "jive" translation.  I for one find
> >it offensive and I certainly hope I am not the only one.  I understand
>
> I concur.  I think far fewer people would find it amusing if it were:

Just to add some fuel to the fire... :D

I think you guys need to take a chill pill... or else go out to Oakland
and enroll in a class for Ebonics... African-Americans actually rallied
for the Oakland school district to teach Ebonics (Jive) to the students,
thus I hardly find it offensive.

> 1) A filter that produced a parody of "Japanese English"
>
> 2) A filter that produced a parody of non-native Japanese

Obviously, you guys have not lived in very multicultural
neighborhoods... You guys say that you understand that Scott made the
jive version in fun, and not to be offensive, yet you all feel
offended??? Gimme a break... Maybe it's just where I came from, but
normally, we can make the distinction b/w a joke and a racial ephitet
(sp?)... and b/c of the ability to make that distinction, we do not take
offense when something was done in jest...

Therefore, IMHO, someone making a parody in Japlish in itself is not
offensive... a person making parody in Japlish as a way to show how
stupid Japanese people are is offensive, and someone making a parody in
Japlish b/c he is the class clown is just making a joke...

Oh yeah... I am also hella-anti-PC, so you can see where I form my
opinions... :D

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: