Re: tlug: monitor flat-lined

Hi all,

On 27-Jul-98 Karl-Max Wagner wrote:
>> Does the flatline mean I'm off to buy a new monitor, or is
>> there some way to bring this back to life?
> Get scope, VOM and soldering iron out of the drawer and fix
> your vertical sync.

I wish I had a scope and VOM, but I don't, and I haven't seen
my soldering iron in decades. It sounds like you're dead-on,
though. I found this in the monitor FAQ at

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/monfaq.htm

"However, if failure happened suddenly and the vertical is
squashed at all scan rates, this is likely a vertical deflection
problem - possibly a bad capacitor, bad connection, bad
flyback/pumpup diode, or other component.  None of these
should be very expensive (in a relative sort of way)."

Can anyone recommend a good monitor repair shop. The folks I
called in Okayama either don't do it, or will ship it off
'somewhere' to be looked at (that doesn't make me too
comfortable.)

Thanks

Jim S.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: