Re: tlug: STB Velocity 3D and XFree 3.3.2

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > Some more experiments resulted in the following: The card
> > works *exactly once* after booting.  When I leave X and
> > start it again, the machine freezes.
>
> Okay, the X driver is leaving things in a nasty state.
>
> Try running svgatextmode between attempts and see if that doesn't make
> things right.
>
> > I guess that it is the probing of the clock that freezes the machine
> > when it is done after I have started X already once.
>
> Shouldn't be probing for clock at all once it realizes that it's a virge.
> Hmmm ... on try two, just do an "X -probeonly" and see if the machine
> locks.  If so, then it's dying during the probe.  If not it's a driver
> issue.

you can probe some virges...

> > I guess, the server probed for this value?
>
> Sort of.  The virge (I think -- I don't have the specs in front of me)
> puts the ramdac on-chip, so the max rate is known.
>
> Hmmm ... maybe try adding option "noaccel" to XF86config and see if the
> problem is XAA.  Shouldn't be, though.
>
> For what it's worth, we're releasing another 3.3.2 public patch RSN that
> may address this problem.

does it fix DGA?  So far I've only seen it work on a CLGD5426 VLB card :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691