Re: tlug: non-Linux memory question

    Chris> On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, David J Iannucci wrote:
    >> I.e., if your SIMMs have gold traces, you shouldn't use them
    >> with sockets that are silver in color.  And vice versa.  Well,
    >> his expression was something like "chotto shinpai".

    Chris> True.  I misremember the exact chemical reaction, but if
    Chris> dissimilar metals are in contact, they'll eventually break
    Chris> each other down.

If you wait long enough.  Gold et al are called "noble" metals because
they're too damn snotty to react with each other.

The "chotto shinpai" is probably due to being old enough to remember
when to save money Japanese electronic equipment used solder for bus
wire.

(That's a lie about the Japanese, AFAIK, but my brother actually saw
that in a <Korean company> monitor---one which was given to <very
large US computer mfr> as a sample for a possible OEM deal.  Needless
to say, <KC> did not get the contract, and did not get back in the
door with samples for five years.)

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691