Re: tlug: non-Linux memory question

    David> Sorry about the non-Linux-specific question, but :^} I'm
    David> looking to get some 72-pin SIMMs.  The old ones I'm trying
    David> to replace have silver traces, and I was told by a salesman
    David> at LAOX ComputerKAN that one shouldn't mix gold and silver.
    David> I.e., if your SIMMs have gold traces, you shouldn't use
    David> them with sockets that are silver in color.  And vice
    David> versa.  Well, his expression was something like "chotto
    David> shinpai".

    David> Does anyone else believe this?  Or is it one guy's BS
    David> opinion?  I don't have any reason not to believe him, in
    David> particular, but I'm hoping he's full of it, because it
    David> seems memories with silver traces aren't so common anymore
    David> :^(

I've forgotten the name for the phenomenon , "bimetallic ...". When
two different metals are in contact with one another, they can react
to each other, causing corrosion. There is a contact protector that
you can coat contacts with. This is a liquid that you apply to the
connector on the SIMMs before inserting them. This dries and prevents
the contacts from oxidizing.

As to if this is something to worry about or not, I don't think
so. You'll probably replace the PC before this causes a
problem. Probably the worst that would happen is that you might have
to re-seat the SIMMs in a few years. You can clean the contacts with
an eraser. After the eraser treatment, wipe them down with alcohol to
remove the oils and other junk left behind by the eraser.

Thats my to cents...

Andy
featuring Linux on multiple platforms:
Next Nomikai: September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691