tlug: ncftpd 2.1.3 and Sparc Linux

Hi all,

I while back I posted that I was having trouble with the FTP
daemon on my Sparc. If you try to log in as a user you get
denied because 'the account has expired'. Anonymous FTP works
fine. PAM doesn't seem to be the problem as you get the same
message when you disable it for FTP.

This afternoon I tried to install a binary of ncftpd for Sparcs
but ran into some unusual behavior. After following the
installation instructions to the letter and killing the old FTPd,
I started the new ncftpd.

Well, the first indications were good, using the -v tag produced
no errors and the logs looked OK, but when I tried to ftp in
from another computer the connection hung at 'Connecting...' I
tried it again from another virtual console - same thing.

Then I checked to see if the daemon was running with ps. It was,
but ps reported that ncftpd was sucking up 90% of the CPU!
Checking with top revealed that it was eating ALL available CPU
(and this is running at nice:-3)

Needless to say, I'm back to anonymous FTP with the old daemon...

Any ideas on getting user FTP enabled... I'm fresh out...

Regards,

Jim S.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: