tlug: ppp oddity?

OK, I was trying to get Cliff's notebook to work with a PPP connection
today, and I finally did, but I've got some questions.

1.  I dialed in with minicom, punched in the username/password, and it was
correct, the remote pppd started, etc, all's great.

2.  Now, I wanted to use a PAP connection from TurboLinux (pppd 2.3.5).  I
know that TurboLinux's PPP stuff works cuz I set up a connection with a
modem card on our other notebook and used it in the states when I was
there, and it worked beautifully on the first try.  I also use it at home
to connect to 3Web, and that works great as well.

3.  Now, when I try this, and I look at the log, it simply says, "PAP
Authentication Failed", and dies.  I have checked that the username and
password in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets is correct and that it is bound to the
ppp0 interface.

4.  so, I ended up just using turbopppcfg to specify Expect/Send lines to
generate a proper chat script to login and THEN start pppd, but...

So.. is there some kind of subset of PAP that PSINet is expecting but the
Linux ppp daemon doesn't provide?

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: