Re: tlug: more NT links

Interesting point...

>From a businessperson's point of view, this seems to be a very good
opportunity...

On the one hand, you have Linux which is a very solid OS, based upon
UNIX which is definitely the king in server OS, but has limitations with
running and application software...

On the other hand, you have WinNT, which has a lot of "standard"
application software, but is a very shaky server OS, or OS for that
matter...

As the two start to compete with each other, there are several
opportunites opening up...

For instance, one may say that any of the big Linux publishing house (by
this, I mean, RedHat, PHT, Caldera, etc.) could come in and launch a
huge marketing campaign to bring the Linux OS as viable business
solution.  Better yet, just gather a lot of funds and start a new
company that would do this with their own distro of Linux...

Otherwise, maybe another idea would be to start selling solutions that
combine the best of both worlds, and use a Linux OS based server with NT
clients... I recently heard somewhere that Sun has finally gave in, and
acknowledged that it is really good at making UNIX servers, but its
effort in trying to sell SparcStations as replacements for Windows
computers were done in vain... I think to topple the Windows clients
would be a very monumental task as you would need to get a lot of
software developers to write the apps and games for your particular
platform... if you look at Apple, you will notice that a huge portion of
the software was originally intended to be used on the Windows platform,
but once demand was there, a Macintosh version was made...

Anyways... I digress...

Anyways... I had a few other silly ideas, but I think everyone
understands what I'm getting at... the time to make money on this whole
thing would be now... too bad I don't know enough about either platform
to do it though... :(  Hmm... anyone interested in starting a company?
:D

Mikio