Re: tlug: NFS permission denied

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Totoro wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> > I want to make the CD-ROM drive on my TurboLinux machine available as an
> > NFS mount to my Sparc.  In /etc/exports, I have the FQDN of the Sparc, and
> > also it's IP address on another line, listed with /mnt/cdrom.
> >
> > I also have my Sparc listed in /etc/hosts on my TurboLinux box.  I've
> > stopped and started NFS and Inetd, but I can't access the CD-ROM drive
> > from the Sparc.  Issuing:
> >
> > mount 202.235.216.25:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/rmt_cdrom
> >
> > always gets me a "permission denied" message from the server.  What is it
> > about this that my TL box doesn't like?  Neither of these machines is
> > registered on DNS; is that necessary for NFS to work?
>
> You need an entry in /etc/fstab to tell Linux that it's supposed to be
> a NFS server. Mine looks like this:
>
>      server:/backup/Linux    /nfs        nfs     timeo=14,intr
>
> "/backup/Linux" is the directory on a second disk. Then restart the
> daemon at /etc/rc.d/init.c/nfs. Shouldn't matter about DNS, I wouldn't
> think. There are a few extra calls you might use in the fstab list.
> Take a look at the HOWTO's in the LDP, as in mine:

The NFS server does not need any such line in /etc/fstab, that's only on
the client side if you don't want to have to type the 'mount' command
directly.

Although the '-t nfs' flag might be helpful, Jonathan.  But if it's saying
perm denied, I guess it's figuring out that it's NFS already from the
context of the mount command.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: