Re: tlug: 5.1 Sparc status

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of a possible forthcoming fix from Red Hat
> on this?

RSN, according to Donnie Barnes on sparc-list.  I'll wager that it still
won't work properly with the older sun4c SCSI controller.

> Chris, I remember you saying something about having compiled a kernel
> with gcc that worked, but I don't remember if it worked in respect to
> the SCSI controller problem or in respect to the 4C problem, or both.
> Do you have a working 4C kernel?

It's fixed both ways.

> If yes, what do I need to do to get that working kernel into my machine
> after installing 5.1?

Well, first sacrifice a chicken (or ex-boss) to Ba'al ...

... seriously, if you actually manage to install 5.1, you probably don't
need the fixed kernel.  The install image includes the bad kernel, so you
won't even get out of the starting gate.

My off-the-cuff recommendation is to install a minimal 4.2, then drop the
good kernel on, compile rpm-2.5.1 (or ask me for my statically-linked
binary), then do the install by hand.  Inconvenient, yeah, but it'll have
to do until someone (not me) fixes the install image.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: